Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SIX

Dear Jonas,

Your sixth birthday was on Sunday.  I cannot believe six years have gone by already.  I remember bringing you home for the first time, your first birthday at the park, where more than thirty people showed up.  I can recall every birthday, how you looked, how you have grown, how you have changed.


This past year you started kindergarten and have done so with ease.  You make friends easily.  Every time we walk through the doors to get to the playground, all I hear is, "JONAS", hugs follow, high-fives, hand shakes.  Some days you need me to walk you in and you make sure to get your hug and kiss.  I don't mind at all.  Even though it means I have to take two sleeping babes out of the car.  I tell myself that one day you won't even want me to kiss or hug you goodbye in front of your friends.


When the teacher opens the door, you greet her with a, "Ms. Aldrich, I have a question," statement or something.  You always have something to say.  She says you get on yellow often because you like to talk to your buddies in class. 


You have a good sense of humor-you make me laugh most every day.  But you also get very serious.  I have to remind you to relax and be a kid.  You don't have to worry about every little thing.  I think you get that from me.  I'm a worry wort and may have passed it on. 


You still love love to bake.  Spending time pouring and mixing is still lots of fun for you.  We make cookies, muffins, brownies.  You insisted on helping me make your cake.  I wanted to surprise you, but you said, "Don't you know I really like making cakes. Can I please help?  It will make me happy."  


I can't believe you are the little baby I used to hold in my arms.  Back when you were the only one.  I try to hold or hug you now and your body is so long.  I can't believe you used to look like this:











Now you are a tree climber, bike rider, friend maker, alphabet writer, book reader, obstacle course maker upper, video game player, baker, builder of things, jokester and so many more.  Let the list grow and grow.


"Today you are you!  That is truer than true!
There is no one alive who is you-er than you!
Shout loud, "I am lucky to be what I am!
Thank goodness I'm not just a clam or a ham
Or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam!
I am what I am! That's a great thing to be!
If I say so myself, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!"

-Happy Birthday To You
By. Dr. Seuss


Happy Birthday, my son! 
Love, 
Mom